Ryan has a varied legal practice that focuses on water law, civil litigation and appeals, real estate and real property law, and environmental law. His water law work involves assisting clients throughout Colorado to acquire, maintain, develop, and protect rights to use water. Ryan’s litigation style combines a results-oriented approach, creative legal strategies, and fervent advocacy to obtain successful results at reasonable costs. Ryan has successfully litigated diverse issues on behalf of individuals, organizations, and government entities before administrative boards and state and federal courts throughout Colorado and Washington State. In Ryan’s environmental law work, he represents individuals and organizations that aim to protect and enhance the environment and quality of life.
Originally from Seattle, Ryan began his legal career at BCH. Ryan returned to Seattle for a stint as an Assistant Attorney General at the Washington State Office of the Attorney General where he represented a state agency that managed 5.6 million acres of forest, range, agricultural, aquatic, and commercial land. While an Assistant Attorney General, he was the lead attorney for the agency’s timber sales program that was responsible for planning and executing timber sales on 2.1 million acres of forestland. In 2014, after living in the Big City, Ryan and his wife decided to return to the Roaring Fork Valley and the mountains so they could enjoy the mountain lifestyle and raise their family.
When not working, Ryan can usually be found spending time with his family or doing something outside, preferably skiing.
- Water Law
- Litigation and Appeals
- Environmental Law
- Real Estate and Real Property
- Business, Transactions and Negotiations
- Seattle University School of Law, 2011, J.D., magna cum laude
- CALI Award (highest academic performance in class): Environmental Litigation, Business Entities, Legal Writing II
- Ohio Wesleyan University, 2007, B.A., Political Science & Spanish, cum laude
- Colorado, 2011
- Washington, 2012
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington, 2014
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Washington, 2014
- Author, Book Review, Global Climate Change and U.S. Law, Second Edition, 44 COLO. LAW. 56 (2015).
- Co-Editor, Washington State Bar Association Environmental Law and Land Use Section Newsletter, 2013-2014.
- Author, Prior Appropriation and Water Quality: The Water Court’s Authority to Protect and Appropriator’s Right to Clean Water, 16 U. DENV. WATER L. REV. 295 (2013).
- Author, Book Review, Environmental Law Handbook, 41 COLO. LAW. 75 (2012).
- Author, Sinking Nations and Climate Change Adaptations Strategies, 9 SEATTLE J. FOR SOC. JUST. 447 (2010).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Vice-Chair, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources Special Committee on Young Lawyers
- Colorado Bar Association
- Ninth Judicial District Bar Association
- Pitkin County Bar Association
- Aspen Young Professionals
- Roaring Fork Leadership, Class of 2014-2015
- Beattie, Chadwick & Houpt, LLP, Associate, 2014-Present
- Washington State Office of the Attorney General, Natural Resources Division, Assistant Attorney General, 2013-2014
- Beattie, Chadwick & Houpt, LLP, Associate, 2011-2013
- Environmental Protection Agency, Region 10 Office of Regional Counsel, Legal Intern, 2010